KDS has not been updated since June 1, 2020. Please use KDS PRO.
The software has not been suported since December 31, 2020.
Introduction and Abbreviations
The Kitchen Display Systems — hereinafter KDS — is the system for visual representation of order movement from the cash station to customers. KDS displays orders on monitors installed for cooks and waiters. Order movement can be controlled using touch-screen stations or a keyboard.
- The KDS server — dbmangr_RK7.exe, located in the Server folder
- The KDS client — kdsclient.exe, located in the Client folder
Installing KDS 18.104.22.168
The initial installation is performed using the installer and then the current version is installed in the same place. Download the installer distribution kit from the FTP server: ftp://ftp.ucs.ru/r-keeper/KDS/1.3.0/KDS_22.214.171.124.exe
First, install KDS_126.96.36.199 and then upgrade it to the current version, 1.3.5.xx.
Create an XML interface at the manager station beforehand as it is required during installation.
To perform installation, run the installer and follow the instructions in the dialog windows.
If you have previously installed copies of KDS and Firebird, before the installation starts, you will have to choose between several options:
- To install a new KDS instance
- To delete an installed instance
- To upgrade an installed instance
If you want delete an installed KDS instance, select the required one.
While installing a new instance, do the following:
- Accept the license agreement
- Select the installation folder and specify the instance name
- Select the components to be installed and the system for integration
The following components are available:
- Firebird 2.5.2
- Server — the KDS server components. You should select the server version that is integrated with r_keeper — 6 or 7
- Client — usually installed on the server and on client computers. If the KDS client is to be located on UCS controllers, it is installed separately
- Statistics — additional components allowing to generate and print reports on KDS operations
- Supervisor — additional components for cooking supervising and sorting of processed dishes
- RK7tmsrv — terminal server components for working with KDS clients installed on UCS controllers. Select this item if you plan to use them
- Specify the IP address and port for Firebird
- If you have selected the RK7tmsrv component, specify the number of clients. The installer will create client folders to be used by the terminal server
- Specify the cash server IP address and the port of the previously created XML interface
- Choose the components to be installed as a service
- Select the components to create the desktop icons for
- Click Install
KDS 1.3.32 installation is now complete.
After installing, KDS cannot be installed as service. To run the server, use the dbmangr_RK7.exe file. To install the server as service, run dbmangr_RK7.exe with the /install key. This makes sense only after all the settings are done because a service cannot be configured.
Folder Structure after Installation
After installation, the structure of catalogs and their contents will be as follows:
- Client — KDS client files
- DB — the database and scripts
- Encoding — the folder containing the encoding utility
- Firebird — the folder containing the working copy of the Firebird database
- KDS Statistics — the folder containing the statistics and report utility
- RK7tmsrv — the folder containing the terminal server
- RK7tmsrv_Clients — the folder containing terminal clients
- Server — the folder containing the KDS server data
- Supervisor — the folder containing the Supervisor utility
Below you can find a brief instruction. The detailed one is available in the article on KDS upgrade.
Before upgrading, make a backup copy of the previous build and the working database. Configuration data in .INI files are reset after upgrading. So, if it is not the initial installation, make a backup copy of .INI files for later configuration.
After installing version 1.3.x, upgrade KDS to the latest version. Download version 1.3.5 or later from FTP:ftp://ftp.ucs.ru/r-keeper/KDS/. For upgrade, it is enough to copy new files to the KDS installation folder (replacing previous files) and update the database.
Copy new files to the installation location. Confirm file replacement:
- RK7tmsrv if it is installed
Now, you need to update the database. For this purpose, in the DB folder there is the DBUpdate.exe utility. Run it and specify the Firebird database connection parameters: the IP address and port.
Click Update DB. If connection settings are specified correctly and Firebird is launched, the database will be updated and you will see the text: Update DB Complete.
In case you need to install or update Firebird, the folder with KDS at the FTP has the Firebird 2.5.7, x32/x64 distribution kits.
Upgrading Old Database to Version 1.3.Х
To transfer data from databases of an old KDS format <1.2.x to a new one, the DBConverter.exe utility is used. It is located in the DB folder.
Before upgrading, install Firebird that can be found in the relevant distribution kit. As a result, you will have two operating Firebird servers.
Connect to the old database using the old Firebird server and to the new database using the newly installed server. The database to which data are going to be transferred must be empty.
Run the utility, specify the path to the older database in the From section and new database settings in the To section.
Press the Convert Data button.
Starting from version 1.3.3.Х updating to the current version is performed within one branch. When updating to the branch 1.3.4.Х or higher, you should perform an intermediate update to the first version of a new branch.
In the KDS system, the server is licensed. The license name is R-Keeper 7 KDS. Obtain the master license and generate the license key without the request code.
Run the \server\dbmangr_RK7.exe file. The server is launched in the minimized mode so double-click the icon in the tray to expand it. The server window will appear. Click the License button.
Insert the license key, generated at l.ucs.ru, and click OK
The server will connect to the license system, check the license, and activate the product if everything is fine.
Instead of No License you will see your object code and the license expiration date.
Licensing is complete.
Since version 188.8.131.52, the configuration file of the KDS server has changed to dbmangr.ini
If the system was licensed before the update, copy the license key from the License string of the FSVDU.INI file:
And insert it to dbmangr.ini. Save your changes and restart the server.
The KDSGuard utility is designed to deal with possible failures. It is located in the \Server folder.
To launch the utility,specify the full path to the dbmangr_RK7.exe server in KDSGuard.ini. Save changes and run KDSGuard.exe.
Example of the KDSGuard working configuration:
tiInterval=00:00:05 tiControlTime=00:01:30 tiMSgWaitTime=00:00:20 program1=V:\UCS\KDS\KDS\Server\dbmangr_RK7.exe
If everything is configured correctly, the KDSGuard window will show the message: Started...<path to the KDS server> and no indication of errors.
Connection with r_keeper_7
For the KDS to function, service print should be configured.
- Open the KDS server. In the Server Name field, specify the IP address of the cash server
- KDS can work only with categories and not general classifications. Let us take service print as an example and create categories for it:
- Distribute dishes on the menu by classification categories. The categories will appear in the menu on the right:
- Select the required ones and press ОК
- Return to the manager station. Create an interface and link it to the server driver
- Go to Options > Parameters > Installation > Link with other systems > KDS and VDU > KDS Classification and VDU, indicate the reference to the KDS classification. In our case, it is Service Print
- Check KDS layouts. Go to Options > Printing > Documents and Layouts > For KDS. Make sure that pre-installed layouts are added to the current printing scheme
- Go to Personnel > Employees, select the required role and, in the Cashier restrictions block of the role properties, add the Delete ready dish right
- If needed, you can change the text that a waiter will see at the cash station. To do so, go to Options > Parameters > Enterprise working settings > Messages for waiter > Dish ready message text and indicate a required text in the String field. For example: Ready for %0;s which means Ready for table No
- %0:s is the table number
- %1:s is the category name for the KDS
- %2:s is the dish name
Work in KDS
For the KDS to operate, the following launched items are required:
- Reference Server
- Cash Server
- Cash Station
- KDS Server
- KDS Client
Create an order at the cash station. TKDS can work only in the order creation mode. The KDS does not function in the quick receipt mode.
For an order to appear in the KDS, it must be saved and not closed. Create an order and press Save:
The order should appear in KDS.
To delete KDS, run the installer and select Removal of one of the previous instances and follow the instructions in the dialog windows.
In the \DB folder there is a ready-for-operation database — KDS.FDB and the Kds.sql script for creating a similar empty database. You can work with the ready-to-operate database or create yours using the IBExpert program or the UPDConsol.exe utility from the \DB\UPВConsol\ folder.
Below, find the instruction on how to create a database using the UPDConsol.exe utility.
If needed, edit the workscript.ini file:
[DB] DB=KDS_NEW.FDB ; the name of the database file that will be created by the script in the folder containing the utility CharSet=NONE ; the applied encoding. Must match the CharSet field of other INI files UserName=SYSDBA ; the database user name Password=masterkey ; the database user password Create=1 [Work] Script = KDS.sql ; the script name for creating a new database. Can be found in the folder containing the utility
Run the UPDConsol.exe utility to create a new database. The KDS_NEW.FDB file will appear in the folder containing UPDConsol.exe.